Saturday 6 April 2013

“You just don’t joke about things like rape”.


Not the most inviting title, I know, and Im preparing myself for the event of people hating me for my opinions on this matter. Although, if I manage to express myself accurately then this shouldnt be an issue. I will state now, I do not think rape is funny. Its a serious issue and a brutally horrific crime.
That being said, I do not think it is off limits when it comes to comedy.

I saw, online, a post of a screen shot of a girl who (on facebook) had updated her status with a joke written by Jimmy Carr, I dont like to call it rape, I prefer the term...struggle snuggle she neglected to say that it was his joke and didnt even have it in quotes, this bugged me and anyone who reads this and knows me is probably groaning at the fact that Im YET AGAIN talking about Jimmy Carr. Anyway, this status was followed by people criticising the girl for making light of rape but also by people proclaiming genuine belief that rape was not a big deal. One girl commented saying how she had been raped and thats why she didnt find the joke funny she was then met with ridicule from the others. Now, this post Im writing is not about these people but I will just say: they disgust me. Anyone who genuinely believes rape, in itself, is funny needs to be seriously educated and sterilised. These screenshots were commented on with people saying that everyone in the screenshots who finds rape funny is sick. And after a few of those, this comment appeared:


This is when I became part of a minority. The final statement really annoyed me and thats why its the title of this post. I responded to this person, purely regarding that final sentence and nothing else and asked, in more words than this, why not?

Comedy serves a purpose, in my opinion, it makes people laugh and releases endorphins BUT it also brings certain topics and ideas into a social situation. Usually when people are discussing serious issues they are presented in the format of a lecture and it is, ironically enough, forced upon people. Comedy, on the other hand, brings these topics up in an informal setting and makes people think about them without actually forcing any opinions on anyone. Most people dont actually realise that they are thinking about these things its subtle, yet effective.

If you restrict the topics which are allowed to be tackled with comedy then, in my opinion, you increase the stigma attached to it. Saying you cant make jokes about rape emphasises the idea of pity the victim. You are implying that these people are too precious and sensitive to handle these jokes and quite frankly, I think thats more offensive than any joke made by Jimmy Carr or any similar comedians. Did anyone ever stop to think that fans of this type of comedy may have been raped? Limiting what you are and are not allowed to say about rape also makes it seem like these people are rape victims and nothing else.

Also, saying no you cant talk about this is censorship. Live comedy has no limitations on it which is addressed in another of Carrs jokes,
according to Ofcom, the most offensive words on TV are the f-word and the c-word. But Im live on stage this evening, so I can say what ever the fuck I like. And those cunts cant do anything about it!
Now, if you take this freedom away from comedians the gigs will not be as good; their job will not be done properly and attending a comedy gig will seem redundant because itll just be a repeat of anything you see on TV. THIS CANNOT HAPPEN! Anyone who hasnt been to a comedy gig, cannot imagine the benefits of going. The atmosphere is immense and everyone is there to have a good time so there very few fights.

On a more serious note, if you take this free-range away from comedians, you increase the fear of the topic. People who say no, dont laugh at that just reinforce the idea that its a big bad thing that should never be spoken about. With more fear associated with things like rape, it becomes taboo. In fear of offending or upsetting people, it will not be spoken about. And it NEEDS TO BE SPOKEN ABOUT. Not speaking about something, doesnt make it go away. And the idea that people making jokes about rape, makes it acceptable is complete horse shit there is no other way I can think of to describe it. If you hear a joke about rape and that makes you think its an acceptable thing to do, you are, in all seriousness, a complete and utter moron who should not be allowed to have children. You have some serious mental issues to work out. There is NO CHANCE of a joke about rape making rape an acceptable thing to do. The vast majority of people are repulsed by it and those who arent will soon be in jail, because theyre the ones carrying it out.

Ive had people say to me that rape is a horrible thing and if you make jokes about it then you are accepting it and agreeing that rape is funny. To that I say, one of my favourite jokes is, a baby can drown in 4 inches of water...but you might as well run a bath. Does that mean I accept the murder of babies and agree that it is funny? If you answered yes to that question and actually know me then you need to re-examine why youre in my life and then get out. Of course I dont think a baby dying is funny its horrific. But that joke is funny.

Ive had someone say to me, if youd been raped, you wouldnt find it funny. Youd feel like they were making fun of you. Actually, no, Id like to think that being raped would not remove the understanding I have of how these jokes work. Things that Ive been through, things that I am, get joked about by comedians, like Jimmy Carr, A LOT, it doesnt offend me because I know how the jokes work; I know why theyre funny; I know where the comedy is coming from and I know that I am not being targeted. These two jokes Im about to type out, do not effect me but they are good examples of the point Im trying to make.
A snakebite wont kill you...unless of course youre allergic to cider.”
This joke is works on a couple of levels one of which is surprise. The first half is the feed-line which builds your expectations of the topic of the joke in this case, makes you think its about snakes. The punch-line, on the other hand, defies your expectations, catches you by surprise and therefore makes you laugh.
If only Africa had more mosquito nets then every year we could save millions of mosquitoes from dying needlessly of AIDS.”
Now, this joke is deemed more offensive and is seen as being about poverty and ridiculing the sick. NO! Its works in the same way as the previous joke. You expect it to be about saving sick people in an impoverished country but nope, got you again, its about something else.

Comedians make jokes about things that happen in the world, as long as they happen there will be jokes. It has also been said to me that people may not be intelligent enough to realise that these jokes are making fun of rapists, not the victims and not rape in case this needs explained to anyone, how pathetic and weak does struggle snugglist sound? You feel stupid just saying it. And how pathetic are rapists? Tah dah! Anyway, if people cant work out what these jokes are about then thats their problem. I have no issue explaining jokes to people, if they dont understand but their lack of understanding is not reason enough to restrict the comedian he/she has done nothing wrong.

 Another point and I realise Ive been going on a while I have noticed that only certain jokes about rape are complained about. Carr does another joke,
my girlfriend said to me during sex, did you lock the front door yeah theres no way youll escape’”.
This joke doesnt tend to receive any sounds of disapproval however, it is also about rape.
I said to my girlfriend, do you want to experiment with a role-play, rape fantasy?’ She said, No! I said, thats the spirit!
Another roar of laughter, no sound of disapproval. Also a joke about rape. Why are these jokes acceptable but the first one is not? They are all about rape.

Finally, making jokes about rape does not mean you are joking about rape. There is a big difference between the two. And if you dont like this type of comedy then dont watch it. Simple as.

If anything in this post has offended you then I hope you arent still reading this because no ones forcing you and youre just creating your own misery.

Thanks to all who provided their opinions for me to respond to. Open to comments and prepared for disagreements.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. British comedy is by far the most entertaining. No one is being targeted and neither are the issues bought up in such jokes aimed in offending particular people. Restriction would be futile. 150% Agree. SUPER HIGH FIVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback. SUPER HIGH FIVE RETURNED!

      Delete
  2. I just watched the full show and even though I'm Dutch, I thought it was f-ing hilarious! That doesn't mean that I think rape is funny or acceptable, hell no, it's just in the context of comedy (like George Carlin said 20 years ago) funny.
    There's a hell of a lot in one Carr show to be offended by:
    pedo_necro_children_prinses diana(phew!)_religion and the list goes on and on.
    My guess is...if you're easily offended...do not watch Carr. It's that simple!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.